Sunset

Sunset
Late afternoon view from my office.

Monday, January 17, 2011

I AM JESUS



For my contemplative prayer (meditation) this morning I chose 'I AM JESUS' as my sacred word / chant. Chose (as in my choice) is not the correct word to use. Rather 'led by the Spirit' I should say. 
I breath in thinking ' I AM', and I exhale slowly saying 'Jesus' in my mind.
Breath in: I AM
Breath out: JESUS

I AM signifies the present Now of Being. Not I was or I will be. Simply I AM, right now, present, with no other thought.   As my two favourite teachers of  The Now Richard Rohr and Eckhart Tolle put it, there is no other moment than this moment. Now, and then again this moment, Now....Being, Present, Alive, Now, I AM.


A few days ago I did a breathing exercise where, for about 15 minuets, I tried to simply 'Be' by breathing in the words 'I Live' and then 'I Die' as I exhaled. Each with a small pause between breath and exhale and breath. During the pause I would reflect on each word and identify with it. I would live then die then live then die...Each a choice. Each necessary at that moment. Symbols of the paradox of life. A few days later I read Eckhart Tolle in 'Stillness Speaks' that the opposite of death is not life, it is birth. Together they are life. Life is. Next time I will try the exercise with I am born - I die  or even better... I emerge - I die.

So how does this relate to today’s experience? Today my chant was I AM JESUS. The out breath being JESUS. 
Was my out breath reflecting death? Yes and no. 
Yes because Jesus died. That is a fact. I will die too. Every moment dies to be replaced by the next and so I should die to the next moment too, so that I emerge into the next. I am constantly being re-born. 
No because through Jesus’ death and all the symbolism therein, I live again.

If in every moment I die to the moment then I Am.
Life.
I Am
Being.

And so too are You.

Love n Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment